Vitamin d and tsh

I am having runners knee and also following the exercises prescribed. Recently I took a Vitamin profile test and readings were Calcium - 9.39 mg/dl 25 Oh Vit d (total) - 7.13 ng/ml TSH - 6.82 uiu/ml Vit B12 - 253 pg/ml Folic acid - 4.6 ng/ml I would like to know the details of these readings and what can I do to improve my condition? Thanks

Doctor Answers (1) on Vitamin d and tsh

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there I understand your concern and anxiety....increased thyroid stimulating hormone levels suggestive of hypothyroidism I.e under active thyroid gland...The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder..others being viral infection of thyroid gland,low iodine in diet,radiotherapy,radio active iodine treatment etc...Changes in the menstrual cycle,constipation,depression,dry hair and hair loss,dry skin,fatigue,greater sensitivity to cold,slow heart rate,swelling of the thyroid gland (goiter),unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight etc....diagnosis is done by estimating tsh and t3 and t4 levels...Lower-than-normal T4 levels usually mean you have hypothyroidism. However, some people may have increased TSH levels while having normal T4 levels. This is called subclinical (mild) hypothyroidism. It is believed to be an early stage of hypothyroidism...treatment is mainly by replacing thyroid hormones by thyroxin tablets in appropriate dose...Sensible sun exposure, especially between the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm produces vitamin D in the skin that may last twice as long in the blood compared with ingested vitamin D. Foods thought to contain high amounts of vitamin D3 are oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and blue fish, as well as fortified milk and other dairy products. After correction of their vitamin D status with oral vitamin D, patients should have a repeat test of their 25(OH)D level to confirm that they are in the normal range...Consult nearest endocrinologist they will do the needful.