Varicocele veins
What happens if varicocele veins in the testis left untreated. Will there be any side effects. I had a pain in the right testicle few months back. Doctor has done a Doppler scan of my right testicle and said that grade III varicocele is observed and I have to undergo a surgery.

Dr. Harisha N L
A varicocele may cause fallowing if left untreated Shrinkage of the affected testicle (atrophy). The bulk of the testicle comprises sperm-producing tubules. When damaged, as from varicocele, the testicle shrinks and softens. It's not clear what causes the testicle to shrink, but the malfunctioning valves allow blood to pool in the veins, which can result in increased pressure in the veins and exposure to toxins in the blood that may cause testicular damage. Infertility. Varicoceles may keep the local temperature in or around the testicle too high, affecting sperm formation, movement (motility) and function. Varicocele treatment may not be necessary. However, if your varicocele causes pain, testicular atrophy or infertility or if you are considering assisted reproductive techniques, you may want to undergo varicocele repair. The purpose of surgery is to seal off the affected vein to redirect the blood flow into normal veins. In cases of male infertility, treatment of a varicocele may improve or cure the infertility or improve the quality of sperm if techniques such as in vitro fertilization (IVF) are to be used...