Vaginal itching

I have been having vaginal itching for the past month. It occurs twice or thrice a day, sometimes only in the night. There doesn't seem to be any difference in discharge or smell, but sometimes it gets very dry. Are there any OTP medications I can try before going in for a consultation?

Doctor Answers (2) on Vaginal itching

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
t's normal to have a healthy mix of bacteria in the vagina. But the wrong bacteria growing there can lead to an infection. Besides itching, other symptoms that come with bacterial vaginosis are inflammation, burning, discharge, and a fishy-smelling odor.
Consult Gynecologist for further evaluation and treatment...
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Yeast infections usually are treated with an antifungal cream or suppository, such as miconazole , clotrimazole or tioconazole . Yeast infections may also be treated with a prescription oral antifungal medication, such as fluconazole . The advantages of over-the-counter treatment are convenience, cost and not waiting to see your doctor. The catch is you may be treating something other than a yeast infection. It's possible to mistake a yeast infection for other types of vaginitis or conditions that need different treatment. Using the wrong medicine may delay an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment...so its better to consult nearest gynecologists.