diabetes-icon

TSH higher than normal.

Writing this on behalf of my mother. She recently had her annual health checkup. The TSH was below range, at 0.26. But t3 and T4 were normal. We were advised to repeat the test after a few days. In that test, TSH was below 0.01 but T3 and T4 were still normal. Our doctor started medications, and now the TSH is 7. T3 and T4 are still normal. Her weight increased 1.5 kgs in 6 days. After researching a bit I found out that deciding things based solely on TSH level is not very correct. What should be done in this case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Answers (1) on TSH higher than normal.

Dr. Navya G Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there.. I can understand your worry.. your mother has hyperthyroidism(tsh low and t3 t4 normal or high) and cause for it had to be evaluated so that we know whether or not she needs treatment or it would resolve by itself as in many conditions there would be initially hyperthyroid state which would get resolved spontaneously.. her weight gain is because of anti thyroid medications she is been prescribed.. I would suggest you to visit endocrinologist once..