TMJ Problem

I HAVE HAD CLASS 2 MALOCCLUSION , AND AFTER WEARING T4B APPLIANCE SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH BRACES IT GOT CORRECTED TO AN EXTENT. I HAVE OPEN BITE THROUGHOUT THE TREATMENT ( AND STILL NOT CORRECTED ). I AM HAVING TMJ DISORDER , FOR WHICH I AM WEARING TMJ APPLIANCE FROM MYOFUNCTIONAL RESEARCH CO. MY ORTHODONTIST EXAMINED MY TMJ X-RAY , AND HAS DIAGNOSED THAT MY RIGHT TMJ HITS THE BONE WHILE IN CLOSING POSITION . CAN IT BE ENTIRELY CORRECTED BY THAT TMJ APPLIANCE ? MY SPEECH IS SEVERELY IMPACTED AND IT CREATES A LOT OF ANXIETY...

Doctor Answers (2) on TMJ Problem

Hi..you need to use appliance for only specific time. A good orthodontic treatment is the only cure for TMJ problems. Your class 2 malocclusion and open bite both should be corrected and final result should settle in good class 1 molar relation with balanced occasion. Regards
It is difficult to give you any conclusive answers to your query without a clinical examination and checking of xrays. You have not mentioned when your orthodontics were done and if you had the TMJ disorder before that or it started after your Orthodontics. When you say your speech is impacted, what is the difficulty you are having? Also, is there any associated pain? The use of a properly suited appliance generally gives long term relief from TMJ disorders but often you need to wear them for an extended period of time. Also, it is important that the dentist who has prescribed the appliance is well trained in myofuctional and TMJ disorders, has good knowledge of gnathology and has therefore given you the correct appliance. Sometimes, correction of teeth by repeat orthodontics maybe necessary to permanently correct the TMJ situation.