Thyroid problem

My TSH is 6.66. I sleep more than 8 hrs in a day. I feel tired always I m a student I want to know why this happens Is it good to sleep more dan 8 hrs? Is there any harm in it?

Doctor Answers (1) on Thyroid problem

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Tsh levels are slightly higher... 8 hours sleep is good for health nothing to worry abexamination.increased thyroid stimulating hormone levels suggestive of hypothyroidism I.e under active thyroid gland...The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder..others being viral infection of thyroid gland,low iodine in diet,radiotherapy,radio active iodine treatment etc...Changes in the menstrual cycle,constipation,depression,dry hair and hair loss,dry skin,fatigue,greater sensitivity to cold,slow heart rate,swelling of the thyroid gland (goiter),unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight etc....diagnosis is done by estimating tsh and t3 and t4 levels...Lower-than-normal T4 levels usually mean you have hypothyroidism. However, some people may have increased TSH levels while having normal T4 levels. This is called subclinical (mild) hypothyroidism. It is believed to be an early stage of hypothyroidism...treatment is mainly by replacing thyroid hormones by thyroxin tablets in appropriate dose... Consult nearest physician for clinical examination.