Thyroglossal cyst
I had a thyroglossal cyst surgery two times, doctor removed the hyoid bone in the second surgery two years ago. Doctor assured me that the cyst won't occurs again after the hyoid bone removal. Two years went fine without this problem..but now I'm facing same problem with a painful swelling and difficulty in swallowing, in one night this swelling will happen and throat area will enlarged like lymp. later this swelling will drain slowly for a week and form a cyst. Please help me what is the reason for occuring again even though the hyoid bone is removed?

Dr. Pinaki Mazumder
Otologist/ Neurotologist 31 yrs exp Kolkata

The entire thyroglossal cyst, duct, along with the body of the hyoid should be removed during thyroglossal cyst operation, which is known as Sis- Trunk operation. If any portion of the track is left behind inadvertently during the operation there is recurrence. You better consult with the surgeon who did the revision surgery, because he knows what was your condition and what he did.