Swell in hemiplegic leg
Why does my hemiplegic leg swells when I walk longer or stand for a long time? I am on digoxin and nebivolol for old mitral stenosis operation done years before. I am on acitrom for hemiplegia occured few years before. I am on thyronorm too hypothyroidism.

Dr. P. Vijayaraghavan
Consultant Physician 34 yrs exp Chennai

It is common to have swelling of leg on the side of hemiplegia. It is due to decreased muscular action leading to stagnation of blood and fluid. Decreased nerve function may also lead to blood vessel dilatation and increased fluid formation.
Try to keep leg elevated most of the time by raising it on a stool while sitting and on pillow while lying down. Elastic stocking may help.