Sunburn and acne

I was using retino A 0.025% which wasnt prescribed by any doctor, but i surfed in net and started using that medicine without consulting doctor. I've started using it to prevent acne on my face which has further more increased my pimples and lead to redness n sunburn kind of patches on my face on the places where I have applied the ointment. After knowing that it is not the right treatment and shouldnt be used, I stopped using the ointment but still red patches and acne are just the same way they are. Please suggest me what should I do now?

Doctor Answers (1) on Sunburn and acne

Thanks for the query. Kindly stop self medications. Skin care is a daily ritual shaped by age, gender, socioeconomic status and internal health. Skin care needs to be customized based on the presenting complaints. There are different ways to achieve a flawless skin after acne and it needs medical interventions. Acne treatment has multiple stages - to control new breakouts, to clear the sequalae (pigmentation and scars) and to prevent a relapse. If you have active acne lesions, it should be controlled on priority basis. Acne scar and pores can be treated with subcision, dermaroller, fractional CO2 lasers, chemical peels and likewise. Remember combining treatment modalities help to achieve desired results earlier. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation. Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results