Sun tan due to swimming

I go for swimming classes from 9-11.. i have observed that even after applying sunscreen my skin is tanned.. i want to remove the tan.. please recommend some de-tanning creams or anythng that i can apply on my hands and face so that the tan goes off asap..

Dr. Pradnya Shastri
Dermatologist 9 yrs exp Mumbai

Unfortunately, there is no better solution to removing tan other than preventing Sun exposure. Plus, wet skin absorbs more of ultraviolet radiation than dry skin. Also, the sun sunscreen gets washed off so you practically will need to re-apply the sunscreen at least 3 to 4 times in those two hours of your swimming. What you could do is try getting a body covering swim suit. Barrier protection works best in such cases. To decrease your tan you will need to go to a dermatologist. Prescription Medicines might be required for good results. Do not try to use random creams based on watching a t.v. ad or because a friend said so. It might harm the skin.