Sudden rage

My mother needs psychiatric evaluation. At a moment she is fine. Next moment she suddenly gets emotional . She starts saying malicuous things to me and to anyone she thinks has offended her. I fear she may harm herself or others this way . I know she may not consider going to a psychiarist .help.
views-icons 41 Views Bookmark this Answer

Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Anjendra R Targe
Psychiatrist 7 yrs exp Pune

Free 3 day follow up

Chat Now

₹500 for 24 hrs

Hello, I understand your predicament. Most patients with such behavioral disturbances lack insight to their illness, therefore, they themselves will never admit to having a problem, neither will they seek or agree for treatment. But tretament is essential. So what you need to do is take her to a Psychiatric hospital under some pretext. Her condition needs to be evaluated in detail, as she is old. There are always chances of organic or physical brain abnormalities in this age, like dementia, electrolyte disturbances which might lead to such behavior, for which a MRI might be necessary. Once that is ruled out, other psychiatruc causes can be looked for. Therefore, get her to a Psychiatric set up at the earliest. Do not tell her that you are taking her to a Psychiatric facility. Keep family members along, who might have to stay with her, if she needs hospitalization. You might have to admit her against wish, if the need be. Or, if her condition is treatable on an OPD basis, the doctors might give you medications that could be given spuriously. Good Luck!
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
2/2 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?