chest-icon

Smoking; throat infection

I am not a regular smoker nor I have been smoking for a long time . may be I had my smoking for say for past 4 -5 years. I have been successful in drastically reducing the habit though i still smoke sometimes. my question is , does the chances of oral cancer is high if we smoke during throat infection

Doctor Answers (1) on Smoking; throat infection

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. The throat infection is usually caused by a bacterial or a viral infection. And smoking hinders in the healing of the damaged tissue after infection. Therefore it takes a lot of time to heal in smokers. As far as the chances of cancer is concerned, I would say yes, but you don't always have a throat infection all the time do you? Throat infections come and go. I suggest you decrease the number of smokes per day and gradually leave it all together. The benefits of not smoking are way too many to list here. I hope this helps and hope you will take your first step towards quitting smoking. Regards