Smelly armpits
I'm unable to get rid of the smell of sweat from my armpits even after repetitive washing while taking a bath. I'm using deodorant and talcum powder after bath but the smell persists later on. Any solutions?

Rajitha Gujjari
Dermatologist Hyderabad
Hi.... Its unfortunate that you are suffering from this problem.First of all I would like to know if smell from armpits is perceived by u only or by ur friends n family also . Because some smell from armpits is physiological. If it is to the extant that people besid u are able to perceive smell then its pathological. However let me tell u the general aspects regarding this. This condition is medically known as Bromhydrosis n is due to action of certain bacteria on sweat.Regular cleaning with germicidal sopes, application of topical antibiotics, 2% aluminium chloride application at bed time , shaving axillary hair will help to some extent. If not satisfied with this methods then permanent laser hair reduction, BTX injection, removal of axillary sweat glands, certain lasers, Iontophoresis ll give you permanent relief.using deodorants, perfumes, scents mask the odour but frequent use is not recommended because they may sensitise ur skin n cause allergic reactions.consult a dermatologist n get appropriate treatment. Hope this ll help you. Have a great day.