Smashed fingers

My mother accidentally smashed her fingers while closing the bedroom door. It happened while closing the door when she mistakenly put her thumb on the door hinge and closed it. Happened last night, I immediately put some ice on handkerchief and wound it around the thumb and kept that way for an hour or so. After that I asked her whether she was able to move her finger or bend it and fortunately she was able to do so. Today morning however I asked to rest but the pain hadn't reduced by much she added. Now, before consulting an expert directly, I'd like to have some views, comments or suggestions from an expert here at Practo while I can. Thank you Doc.

Doctor Answers (1) on Smashed fingers

Dr. Anshu S.R Sachdev Pune | Orthopedist
Putting ice was the correct decision. A painkiller would help too. If there's no excessive selling and symptoms are subsiding take it easy. Nothing can substitute a physical examination though. If pain and symptoms persist an x-ray may be required