Short and Frequent cough

From last 3-4 months I have been having these short and frequent occurrences of wet cough. It stays for couple of hours and i spit out all the cough blocking my chest and then it's all fine. I have seen couple of doctors (both over 20 years of practice and specialised in pulmonary) but I haven't got any solid reason why i am getting it. They have done chest X-ray and PFT tests which are apprently totaly normal. I also get this sinuses infection quite frequently and I am wondering if coughing is related to it. May be the air is not suiting me anymore or some sort of infection from something else. I would also like to add that i have been a regular smoker till 4 months back. I have smoked 5+ cigs everyday for almost 10 years. I tried searching on internet but not sure if i have matched any results with my problem. Any information or advice on this would be good relief for me! Thank you.

Doctor Answers (1) on Short and Frequent cough

Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, I went through your query, it could be hey fever(form of allergic rhinitis) . Allergy may be allergic to anything, like humidity, cold temperatures, pollens, dusts, smoke, dander of cat or dog, dust mites etc. There is no complete treatment for this. Antihistamines will help to control symptoms. Immunotherapy helps in severe cases. The effective way to prevent allergic rhinitis is to steer clear of the allergens that cause your symptoms. For instance, stay indoors when pollen counts are high and take showers immediately after being outside. Also, clean your home to remove pet dander, mold, and dust, avoid cold foods. Or it could be bronchitis due to smoking... Which can be managed by stopping smoking... And supportive measures... Kindly avoid smoking,, it help you.