Severe hearing loss
My daughter has severe hearing loss in both ear since birth. I am come to know about this problem when she was 2 years old. I want to know about cochlear implant surgery that what is the % of cure and till how many old child can be made surgery for implant and what is the cost lump sum. Is any institution provide aid to meet up cost of the surgery. I also want to know about stem cell research current status in this area. Please help me to replying my queries.

Dr. Sankarshana V T
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 21 yrs exp Bangalore

Hi In regard to your daughter as u came to know about her hearing loss at the age of 2 and now that she is 7 yrs wherein in this present time cochlear implant would be ideal though it would have been great if done earlier but nevertheless it can still be done and the post operative therapy would be important for her.There are corporate institution or foundation that do help u to a extent and guess the package now has come down depending on the implant you choose.In regards to stem cell I had the pleasure to visit Kyoto university where active and the first stem cell study was done in animal and hopefully there will be an answer to this in the near future as with the case of  stem cell injection to the vocal cords which is now injected in patients.u can write to one prof Ito who is active in this stem cell for hearing loss if u go on to the website of Kyoto university and correspond with him but would still advice that the cochlear implant would still be the choice as of now and not to delay Hoping for the best for your daughter.
visit an ENT who does cochlear implant surgery preferably in u r city
time is precious old don't delay
Dr. Pinaki Mazumder
Otologist/ Neurotologist 31 yrs exp Kolkata

Pre- lingual deaf children  devolop excellent speech if surgery is done before 5 years of age. If surgery is delayed speech development is poor. That is why cochlear implant is not indicated in older children. Stem cell research to regenerate damaged inner hair cells is still in experimental stage. It has been carried out in animal models till date. You can contact with any government cochlear implant center in Mumbai for your daughter. A portion of the expense is provided from central government fund.

Moderately severe hearing loss