Severe Cataract Issue

Could any one please explain what is the meaning of eye nerves dried. My mother had a check up at an eye doctor in village and he said that the nerves had dried and it cannot be treated further. I do not understand what this mean. If u are able to understand the problem then could you pls suggest if it can be treated?

Doctor Answers (3) on Severe Cataract Issue

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello
This means that her optic nerve is atrophied and so vision will be impaired
Once atrophied,there is no treatment or cure
Dr. Arun Rajan Thiruvananthapuram | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Im afraid there is nothing such as dried nerves. Maybe you mean "eye nerves died"? In that case it could be optic atrophy (when the optic nerve, which carries information from your eye to the brain is functionally dead) due to many causes. There is no treatment for this condition.
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there.... The problem is termed as age related macular degeneration..... Age-related macular degeneration is the most common cause of vision loss in those aged over 50 years of age..... For the more common dry AMD, there is no specific treatment yet. There are, however, certain things that can be done to maximise the sight you do have and to improve your eye health.....