Salicylic acid reaction

I recently was prescribed 2% salicylic acid face wash Speelac and after using it twice a day for two days my skin has started to become extremely dry and painful. I feel a burning sensation while applying ointments. Is this a normal response or is something wrong? I am also using Acnemoist and Derivative CMS gel.

Doctor Answers (1) on Salicylic acid reaction

There are different ways to achieve a flawless skin after acne and it needs medical interventions and commitment on part of the patient. Acne treatment has multiple stages - to control new breakouts, to clear the sequelae (pigmentation and scars) and to prevent a relapse. An attempt to find out the root cause of acne should be made in every patient or else it keeps recurring. Each phase takes a couple of weeks before we move to the next phase of treatment. If you have active acne lesions, it should be controlled on priority basis
Sunscreen has to be used regularly.
You can discontinue the medicatin for 2-3 days and use a moisturizer till it becomes normal. Consider re-starting gradually and for shorter contact time.