Regarding SOTRET Tablet

I have an acne problem ,my dermatologist suggested to take SOTRET 10mg for 10 days .. when I look on that pills box, I found a caution it may affect birth defects..as of now I'm single. But that caution made me look on to other side effects of it in internet. There are so many side effects of it.. I'm already very much photosensitive allergic to sun. Now this search made me more scared and confused about the side effects of it now. Whether to consume it or not??

Doctor Answers (1) on Regarding SOTRET Tablet

Dr. D.P. Jayanth Mysore | Dermatologist
Sotret 10 mg is Isotretinoin molecule which is highly effective for severe acne/ pimples. To overcome photosensitivity, you may use a sunscreen with SPF 15 and above. Avoid sun exposure between 10 am to 4 pm by using cap, helmet and umbrella. Any lady taking sotret capsules must use family planning methods during treatment (about 3 months) and another 6 months. Dermatologists nowadays inform this to the patient and take their consent. If married, husband also has to sign it. Sotret must not be taken with oral steroids and tetracycline group of drugs. Kindly talk to your dermatologist and clarify your doubts. No drug stays in the body for more than 1 or 2 months after stopping it. So, if due precautions are taken sotret is a safe drug - under medical supervision. Pill box will list all possible side effects to safe guard the interest of the manufacturer. It does not mean that all side effects will happen to each and every patient.