REGARDING HIV

Sir/Madam recently I went to barber shop for shaving and there was a pimple near moustache and the shaving razor (blade) cut the pimple and little blood came I hope the blade was new (barber changed blade in front of me) do I need to worry for it is there any risk of HIV !!! ! Kindly guide me in right path .

Doctor Answers (3) on REGARDING HIV

Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hi dear if you are so worried about getting cuts outside, then starting shaving at home. Otherwise, everytime such a thing happens, you will start worrying. And you are wasting your own time. If the blade was absolutely new, then there absolutely nothing to worry about. Even it was a old blade, the blood will have to be fresh blood for it have any chance of transmission, as the virus doesn't survive in external environment. It need a alive cell to keep replicating. For confirmation you can get a hiv 1 and 2 test done after 3 months. Or a confirmatory test like Elisa in a few weeks. But Elisa tests are slightly expensive.
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern, you say that the blade was new therefore you dont need to worry about that but some times there can be some blood on that razor too. get a HIV test done after three months, till then nothing you need to do. i would suggest you learn shaving at home or use a trimmer. best regards, Dr. Anil kumar jain
If it is a new blade, then there is no need to worry about HIV