Red wine goodness

My friends say red wine is very good for health if consumed regularly in moderate quantities. They say it's very good for skin and also for heart, hair & others. Is it true? If so which brand and how to choose the best one? In what quantities and how frequently should it be used? Any restrictions for age, male/female, diseases etc..? Thank you.

Ms. Sadia Sana
Dietitian/Nutritionist 1 yrs exp Hyderabad
Wines, beers or any alcohol product have free radical effect. Dr Harsha have answered ideally answered this question. But as you have asked good for heart, skin and hair. I ask you why to go with alcohol containing products when you can use apple cider vinegar, curd, fruits (whole or juice), etc. For the same. Yes, in case you like alcohol cannot restrict your self for having it! In that case I suggest you 2 peg in a day and not more than that, if it is wine only.
Dr. Harsha
Hi there...anything taken in moderation is good for health. But in case of alcohol it is difficult to tell, as each body responds differently to similar quantities of alcohol(as the basal metabolic rate is different for each individual). Wine basically contains antioxidants. It is this constituent that is good for health. It helps in reacting with the toxic oxidative radicals in the body and neutralising them, there by giving various benefits photoprotection, improving inflammatory processes, etc. Also we cannot recommend any brand or quantity of wine. It is left upto the individual to decide.