Rabies Query

I was bitten by monkey 10 years ago and i was not vaccinated at that time. Can i get rabies now? Actually i am very confused when i consult online some doctor say go for vaccination while some say no vaccination is require after 10 years. I also visited max hospital noida there the doctr said you dont need vaccination. Can you please tell me the truth? Please help

Hello there. I can understand your concern. Its been 10 years so firstly, no chance of having rabies now because of that. If you are worried about your past, then no need to take any rabies vaccine. But if you take the whole course of vaccination now, it will protect you in the future if you ever get bitten by any such animals. So basically the decision is yours to make. Those physicians who said that you need to take would have said for your future protection. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Dr. J.Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neurosurgeon 17 yrs exp Chennai

No need after ten years
Naresh Kumar Monigari
Consultant Physician 2 yrs exp Karimnagar
Hello, thanks for using practo. There is no need for vaccine now. Ideally post exposure prophylaxis needs to be given immediately after exposure, as it has been 10 yrs now and you don't have any problems, you won't get rabies now and it is not necessary to take vaccine now. If you have any manifestations kindly consult local doctor to further discuss regarding symptoms..