Pulling hair

I constantly pull the hairs on my body uncontrollably.I just can't resist it. Is it a serious problem or can be cured with time?

Doctor Answers (1) on Pulling hair

Dr. Naaz Kazi Thane | Homeopath
Trichotillomania is a type of impulse control disorder. They may pull out their hair when they're stressed as a way to try to soothe themselves. People with these disorders know that they can do damage by acting on the impulses, but they cannot stop themselves. The exact cause of trichotillomania isn't known. It may be related to abnormalities in brain athways that link areas involved in emotional regulation, movement, habit formation, and impulse control. The main treatment for trichotillomania is a type of behavior therapy called habit reversal training. Basically, this means replacing a bad habit with something else that's not harmful. But this process will be difficult to acheive if you are taking no medicinal treatment along with the behavioral training Hence I suggest you visit a homoeopathic consultant who will try to understand your behavior pattern and try to work out what is disturbing you and treat you as a whole person. The effects of homoeopathic treatment will be long lasting since it will not just be a behavioral training but understanding the issue as a whole and prescribing the exact remedy for your state.