Psychological

My cousin is 24 years old, suddenly he developed a symptoms where he is afraid that some one is coming to hurt him, he started hearing voices daily. He is so afraid that he won't sleep in a room alone. He was fit n fine few days ago. One of the doctor we consulted diagnosed hia condition as schizophrenia and told medicine is for lifetime. Can someone please suggest how to proceed with his treatment?

Dr. Antara Gupta
Neuropsychiatrist 13 yrs exp Aligarh

No i dont feel in his case meds will be for lifetime. Early diagnosis and treatment as well as his symptom profile point towards a good recovery.Antipsychotics have to be judiciously given and tapered . All of this may take 1.5 to 2 yrs
Dr. Swapna Patker
Psychologist 8 yrs exp Mumbai
Take a second opinion from a clinical psychologist. Every disease has a root cause. That needs to be found , then a proper plan of medication can be given. get a proper diagnosis done. Schizophrenia is a term , do not fall for details available on internet. Take proper guidance from a reliable doctor.
Ms. Vidhi Shah Prabhu
Clinical Psychologist 8 yrs exp Bangalore
Hi, the symptoms described as above do suggest paranoid schizophrenia. However, does he hear or see something/someone that isn't there? He does seem to have delusions about someone is out there to get him. If he is having hallucinations and delusions which are primary positive symptoms of schizophrenia then the prognosis is good where medications for a few months could cure him for good and it won't be a lifetime treatment. However, if he has more of negative symptoms (sorry for being so technical) then the prognosis could be lifetime medications. I would suggest you get a second opinion from a psychiatrist for the treatment line and prognosis. You van also read about paranoid schizophrenia on medscape (one the most reliable sites). I hope this helps you.