Pitryasis rosea

I was diagnosed with pitryasis rosea last week. Doc told me it would take a couple of months to heal and prescribed a mild soap and lotion. Now the rashes that came first have turned brown, bumpy and scaly. I can feel them raised above my skin. They look bad and don't seem to be fading anytime soon. Is this natural?

Doctor Answers (1) on Pitryasis rosea

Thanks for your query. Pityriasis rosea is self limiting most of the times as is any other common viral illness. The rash and scales do last for a couple of weeks before disappearing completely. Topical steroids, antihistamines and soothing agents are commonly prescribed to reduce the symptomatology. If you feel the situation is different, kindly revisit the Dermatologist to reconsider diagnosis. He will also guide you through the treatments. Hope it helps Dr MK Agarwala New Delhi