Personality Disorder

My son is 10 years old. He does not properly study and back answers a lot. He's constantly disturbed. I doubt he's hyperactive but I am not sure. he displays good knowledge but doesn't like authority. should I take him to a psychiatrist for counselling? Or is this just a phase that he'll grow out off?

Doctor Answers (1) on Personality Disorder

Hyperactivity is usually manifest in multiple settings. so, you will have to check with the teacher in school about his behaviour.
Oppositional defiance is manifest only in home context but is associated with a lot of aggression and disruption.
If it is just manifest at home and usually involves answering back without associated aggression, it is can be remedied with some tweaking in your parenting techniques. You will need to learn 'differential reinforcement ' to enable more adaptive behaviour in your child.