Personality Disorder
My son is 10 years old. He does not properly study and back answers a lot. He's constantly disturbed. I doubt he's hyperactive but I am not sure. he displays good knowledge but doesn't like authority. should I take him to a psychiatrist for counselling? Or is this just a phase that he'll grow out off?
163 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Divya Shree K.R
Psychiatrist 16 yrs exp Bangalore
Hello, Hyperactivity is usually manifest in multiple settings. so, you will have to check with the teacher in school about his behaviour. Oppositional defiance is manifest only in home context but is associated with a lot of aggression and disruption. If it is just manifest at home and usually involves answering back without associated aggression, it is can be remedied with some tweaking in your parenting techniques. You will need to learn 'differential reinforcement ' to enable more adaptive behaviour in your child.
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
Let others know if this answer was helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.