Persistent dry cough

It has been more than 4 weeks now and I cannot stop coughing. I haven't taken any medicine yet. The cough is mostly dry. It chokes a little in the throat. What could be the possible cause?

Doctor Answers (2) on Persistent dry cough

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
Please use this app to find and meet a good ENT Specialist in your own locality to examine you & do the needful. If you are able to make it to Bengaluru, I would be very happy to help you out myself. My clinic Healthcare@Basaveshwaranagar is easily navigable on Google Maps. I am legally unable to prescribe you any medicines without physically examining you. This forum is intended for second opinions after you have consulted a doctor locally
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Dry cough might be due to numerous causes like it might be due to the infection leading to bronchitis,sinus infection or it might be due to asthma, allergies and chronic exposure to certain factors like cigarette smoking, dust, pollens or due to occupational hazard like inhaling polluted air on regular basis due to air contamination in the place they work. If its a infection, antibiotics and cough suppressants will itself cure it, generally patient will also have sore throat, fever, headaches, generalised weakness etc if that's the case kindly consult a physician for further management. Sometimes People on early stages of asthma can present with this so get it checked. If its allergic, you will see improvement just by avoiding coming in contact with such things, so get a allergic test done to know about things you are allergic. Get the place of your work inspected to know about the pollutants and their acceptable levels and get it corrected. Wear a mask to avoid exposure to dust. Clean the AC, sometimes the it might contain micro-organisms which might cause infection in people with low immunity. Do daily yoga and meditation and go for morning jogging for 30-40mins and brisk walking for 15-20mins to develop stamina. If you are still not satisfied consult a physician.