diabetes-icon

Periods and hypothyroid

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about a year back when my TSH was 7.5.. i was keen on taking alternative medicine for it and hence did not start with allopathy until a month and half back when i started with thyronorm 50mg and thyrowel capsule.. now my TSH is 2.5, but i still have scanty menses and my menstrual cycle has gone from 26 days to 21 days.. could this be just because of hypothyroid or it could be PCOD? will the periods eventually get back to earlier normal state with the thyroid medication? Also i havent lost even 100 gm from the weight i put on ever since i got hypothyroid.. isnt thyroid medication supposed to reverse the weight gain?

Dr. Nikhil Prabhu
Diabetologist 7 yrs exp Mumbai

For pcos get ultrasonography of ovaries done. Max weight gain with hypothyroidism is 2-4 kgs. Rest all is due to faulty eating patterns and lack of exercise. Thyroid hormone corrections won't correct lifestyle pattern that you need to change on your own

Hello.. Well yes menstrual cycle issues and weight gain/loss are common symptoms in thyroid issues!!!since you have started thyronorm and your tsh levels are also in the normal range am sure the rest also will fall in place...but will take time...I don't think pcos is an issue now...it all seems due to thyroid..go for regular follow up..take medications regularly...thank you