Penis problem
Hi, I've had like a rash,itching very uncomfortable on my penis head.I've been to many doctors,some saying kind of  balanitis.They have prescribe with pills & cream,like itraconazole, all the zole family. It works,BUT keeps coming back. Its been almost 3 yrs now.Can it be healed permanently, now,please help
147 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Hithysh BM
General Physician 3 yrs exp Bangalore
If the head of the penis becomes inflamed, the inflammation is referred to as balanitis. The loose flap of skin that covers the head of the penis - the foreskin - is often affected too. Balanitis can occur at any age, but it is most common in boys under five years old and in uncircumcised men follow good hygiene practices and on which substances to avoid that might be causing skin irritation. The doctor may prescribe a topical cream or ointment to treat the skin. If the balanitis does not clear up or your GP suspects another cause, there are several tests to find the cause of the balanitis to help determine the appropriate treatment. The tests may involve: A swab taken from the penis; the cells taken can identify a bacterial or fungal infection A urine sample, to rule out diabetes A biopsy of inflamed skin, in rare cases, to identify the cause of inflammation. balanitis treatment:- Treatment will depend on the cause. Your doctor may recommend an antifungal cream, such as clotrimazole or miconazole, if there is a yeast infection. Fluconazole is an oral antifungal medicine that can be given to treat balanitis when appropriate. A man's partner may need treating too, and both may be advised to avoid sex during treatment. For a bacterial infection, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics. If your GP cannot identify the cause of the inflammation, or it doesn't clear up after treatment, you may be referred to a dermatologist (a skin specialist) or to a genitourinary clinic for specialist investigation. If you have repeated attacks of balanitis, especially if you have a tight foreskin, one option that may be considered is circumcision. prevention:- There are two basic things you can do to help prevent balanitis: practise good hygiene and avoid irritants. Each and every day, wash the glans and gently clean under the foreskin. Avoid perfumed products: water alone or water with a mild soap is adequate for cleaning the penis, or use aqueous cream as a soap substitute. Dry the area completely before getting dressed. Avoid anything that can irritate the skin and cause balanitis.Wash underwear with non-biological washing powder and make sure it is fully rinsed out. In grown-ups, if your work involves handling chemicals, wash your hands thoroughly before using the toilet to avoid traces of the chemicals being transferred to your penis. Choose a condom and other related products developed for sensitive skin and avoid antiseptics and hygiene sprays. if problem persists meet physician.
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
Let others know if this answer was helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.