PCOS,extraHairfall weight

I weigh 69kg with height 5-6". I have PCOS since 1 year for which I was taking metformin. Till I was having them everything was fine, even periods got regular until I left having them. Later I was given OCP and I don't want to have that bcz of weight gain. I am also facing hairloss some kind of baldness.Please suggest.

Doctor Answers (1) on PCOS,extraHairfall weight

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
The features of this syndrome are hormonal imbalance, hyperinsulinemia with insulin resistance. Normally people with this will have anovlation (no egg release), oligomenorrhea (scanty periods) or even amenorrhea (no menstrual period). But it can also have symptoms like polymenorrhea means cycles occur too often as you are experiencing. For this you have to -continue your treatment for PCOS with drugs which regulate menstruation and induce ovulation, insulin sensitizers as given by your gynaecologist -try to reduce the weight and maintain your BMI in between 19 to 24. Do regular exercise to maintain the weight. -try to avoid worries as they will further increase the hormonal imbalance. -once ovulation occurs plan intercourse during that period which will increase the chances of fertilization. -In dietary modifications, You should decrease carbohydrate intake, take foods made-up of whole grains like whole wheat bread, Decrease fat intake and increase protein content. Take high fiber diet, fruits, vegetables but avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes. Take plenty of water avoid sugar drinks...Consult your gynaecologist for fallow up they will do the needful.