Pain in tail bone area

I had pain occasionally in the tail bone are for last 3-4 years. But the pain has increased in last 3 months and I checked with a doctor (orthopaedic) and after seeing the X-ray he told me it is 'coccydynia' and gave me some medicine for 5 days. During the period I was taking medicine, pain reduced but as soon as I stopped taking medicine, pain started again. So now I wonder if it is coccydynia or not. Or is it something more serious.

Doctor Answers (2) on Pain in tail bone area

Hi... If there is sever pain...I generally give neural block injection under local anesthesia....that's very very helpful....and relieves it pain immediately...
For any queries mail me in person
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there..... Treatments such as heat, massage, and ultrasound can also be used....Coccygeal manipulation is used to move the coccyx back into its proper position and relieve pain...Coccygectomy a surgery to remove the coccyx is considered in rare and very severe cases only, when extensive conservative management does not control the pain.....