Pain in tai bone

Whenever I sit straight for 2 or more than 2 hours I feel a sudden pain in my tail bone for a few seconds, is there any possibilities that I am having this pain due to weight gain. Any suggestions on what is causing this pain

Doctor Answers (1) on Pain in tai bone

Dr. Hithysh BM Bangalore | General Physician
Hello tail bone pain is called as coccydynia Patients with coccydynia are advised to use a well-padded seat when sitting and avoid long periods of sitting when possible. If the condition becomes severe or persistently troublesome, then medical attention should be sought to accurately evaluate the cause of the pain, especially if there is associated bruising or rash. Rest, avoiding reinjury to the affected area, anti-inflammatory medications, and pain medications can relieve symptoms. Sitting on a pillow, cushion, or buttock support can help. Some patients with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection. This injection is simply performed in the doctor's office and can potentially dramatically relieve the pain and even resolve the symptoms for many. Sometimes, the injection includes fluoroscopy or ultrasound. Physical therapy with exercises can be helpful with recovery. Rarely, when patients have unrelenting pain, a surgical resection of the coccyx can be performed to remove the irritated bony prominence. Consult orthipedician for further evaluation and treatment.