No colon in the body.

My brother is 20 yrs old . He was born with no typical colon or haustral markings. He is not able to control defacation. Ileostomy study at the time of his birth showed a short colon with a fistula connection in the bladder. after his birth 4 surgeries were performed over a period of 18 months. As far as I remember, A hole was created near his stomach where a colon bag was attached through which he could exrete. The bag was to be changed once in 2 days. further, A hole was also created near the rectum excrete out) Subsequently Short colon was removed and hole near the stomach was sealed out. He has to defacate frequently. Also due to absence of colon he suffers from dehydration now and then. I want to know if it a cure is possible in terms of artifical colon or any mechanism through which he could atleast be able to control when to defacate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Doctor Answers (1) on No colon in the body.

Dr. Vinay Kumaran Mumbai | GastroIntestinal Surgery
It sounds like he had Hirschsprung's disease and underwent a resection of the colon and rectum and a permanent ileostomy. Without the details of surgery it is not possible to tell whether the sphincter is still intact. It seems unlikely that continence can be restored after so many years.