Mental Health

This is related to coping with Narcissistic Person (as in NPD) in Family. The only strategy I have found to retain my sanity is to create physical distance. However, this solution breaks down whenever I visit back home. Not just do I feel weak and useless -- worse, I start showing Narc traits myself and the effects of even a few days stay for a couple of weeks. Please help me to devise a coping and behaviour mechanism that will make me stronger mentally

Doctor Answers (2) on Mental Health

Dr. Naresh Vadlamani Hyderabad | Addiction Psychiatrist
There is no known effective treatment or therapy for Narcissistic Personality Disorder unless he has insight and is willing to seek therapy for years which is very unlikely. So continue to be with him till you can tolerate. If physical, verbal and emotional abuse gets beyond tolerable and legal limits, take a legal route or get out of that relationship as soon as and as far as possible irreversibly. It will definitely affect the children' mental health in future as well. Don't look back. Take the support of family members and close social circle people if possible.
Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello....Treatment for NPD is centered around, psychotherapy. No medicine are required .. Repeated counseling and feed back are by psychiatric is required...Anger, rage, impulsivity and impatience can be worked on with skill training.demandingness, egocentrism, social isolation and withdrawal, are factors responsible . consult psychiatrist.