Menstruation problem

Last month i had taken an emergency contraceptive pill(i-pill) within 72hrs. That very month i had my periods normally in due date but the very next month my periods got pre-poned by one week,which is unusual in my case because i never had any date issue and now am having bleedings with large black clots. I am tensed. Is it happenning due to the pill?

Doctor Answers (1) on Menstruation problem

Dr. Aditi Kishore Shinde
9 yrs. of exp | Kolkata | Gynecologist
Dear Ma'am, Thank you for your query regarding abnormal uterine bleeding post emergency contraception. I would start by advising a home urinary pregnancy test at the outset. It is usual to see such menstrual changes after using a hormonal agent, such as that seen in the Levonorgestrel I pill. But the changes associated with medication usually don't last more than 2 cycles. It should also be noted that any variation in the menstrual cycle within 1 week is considered normal. I would suggest you maintain a regular menstrual diary noting down the details of date of last menstrual period, days of flow,  regularity,  clots, pain,  etc to help monitor your cycles better. Also consider using a regular contraception method after contraceptive counselling. Regards, Aditi