Masturbation

Hi, I m a male(Unmarried). I am worried about my masturbating habit as I do it everyday.will it affect my health in any way?? I don't wanna get married just for heck of it. But I feel extremely horny sometimes when I see a girl or woman in an inappropriate posture,I even start hating myself for this sometimes. Pls help

Doctor Answers (1) on Masturbation

Ms. Sneha Bhat Bangalore | Counselling Psychologist
Hi, Your concern is relevant under the situation. We are all animals to begin with, though we eventually develop reasoning, intentionality, consciousness and will to become more than animals. Sex, sexual instincts, getting provoked by opposite sex and masturbation as a coping mechanism for sexual instinct is as natural as the onset & coping with hunger & thirst. You being a healthy young individual need not feel guilty for masturbating. It should not cause any physical harm for you. It's good in one way that your natural instincts & response pattern to women is causing you uncomfort. It shows that you are a progressive individual who wishes to look at opposite sex as not just a physical object. Keep reasoning about the way people are more than their body and be patient & accepting towards yourself in the process , you will eventually overcome your body's reaction. After all this is also about the way you tend to look at yourself because your perception of opposite sex isn't much different from your own perception of yourself. Think about it for a while till it makes sense. It's absolutely right to marry for right reasons than just for physical hunger. However also check if there could be any other reason for you to marry. Take Care & Good Luck.