Male pattern baldness

Hi, in the past 6-7 montjs Im having hairfall. Im probably in stage 2 of male pattern baldness. I've lost hair on the front sides and some hair on the top crown. None of the males on my mother's side is bald. None of the males on my fathers side is bald including both my grandfathers who still have hair. But my dad is now 50% bald. He has lost hair on the top and has thin hair on the rest of his head. But when I was born, he had full hair. He probably lost his hair because he takes a lot of stress, tension and alcohol. When I visit any doctor along with my dad, the doctor says my hairloss is because my dad has had hairloss. Is this true?

Doctor Answers (3) on Male pattern baldness

Male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia is an inheritable condition, however cases may occur spontaneously also. Its very much likely that you have inherited it from your father. This condition can be controled but can not be cured. There are lot many treatment options including medicine, prp therapy , LLLT laser therapy and hair transplant. You may meet a good dermatologist to discuss your treatment.
Dr. Sandeep Gupta Delhi | Dermatologist
Can be T
Dr. Pradnya Shastri Mumbai | Trichologist
Predominantly, yes. The condition is called as Androgenetic Alopecia. Andro : testosterone induced and genetic : inherited (in your case )/mutated. Plus, another significant factor adding to premature balding (as in your case ) is unhealthy lifestyle. Late nights, bad eating habits, not waking up on time and no exercise all lead to premature activation of AGA . You will need treatment and more importantly a change in your lifestyle (if it is unhealthy).