Large ostium secondum ASD

My mother recently undergone ECHO and doctor mention that she have hole in heart. Large ostium secondum ASD 31.3mm. What should i do what can be the cure and how soon i should take her for treatment. Please suggest ..I'm very scared. How serious is this problem and what treatment should be given and complexities

Doctor Answers (1) on Large ostium secondum ASD

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi..I have gone through the querie and I understand the concern and feeling behind this querie...The defect can be closed by a device / occlusion of the ‘hole’ could be achieved by catheter in many cases...The decision depends on several factors like size, exact location of the defect like proximity to vein or valve, the ratio of flow, the level of pulmonary artery pressure and so on. The procedure is like angiogram...and is invasive (it avoids open operation). There is no truly non-invasive way to close it....Consult your cardiologist and discuss the issues with him as he the best person to give solution to your family.