Lactation consult

I have 4 month old baby. Since my breast milk get reduced I'm taking granact granules for 2 times a day and lactare tablets 2 each time daily 3 times. My doubt is it safe to take them for a long period & upto how many months can i take this. Is there any side effects. What other options i can try to increase breastmilk
views-icons 44 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Lactation consult

Thank you for your question. Breast milk is 90% water. Increasing your intake of fluids is the first step many women ignore. Taking galactic or lactate or shatavari Kalpa is fine. You also need to learn to relax mentally for these to work. Breast feeding is also a mental and emotional process. If you are upset, depressed or anxious the quantity will reduce.You can also take certain tablets called metoclopramide but you need a prescription for these. In spite of all this if your breast milk does not increase or maintain volume please consult your obstetrician for help. best wishes