Knee Feels Locked Up

One day I had a very nasty fall while playing football. Due to a very harsh tackle, I experienced a popping sound from my knee. And from that day I have severe knee pain. Knee feels locked up. I feel trouble while climbing stairs. I read so many articles on the net and I feel that may be it can be a ligament tear as well as the articular cartilage problem sometimes I feel like I'm loosing my balance while walking. I still play football and my knee sounds popping everyday. Although the nasty fall was nine months ago, I did not have the knowledge about the same so I never bothered about it but now after reading so many articles I find this problem an important one. I have done one x-ray and the reports were normal. Can ligament tear heal on its own? If it's an ACL one and can articular cartilage be re-generated. Please share your advice and if possible do suggest about home remedies.

Doctor Answers (2) on Knee Feels Locked Up

Dr. Rama S.K Pune | Internal Medicine
Get MRI OF knees done and meet ortho specialist. ..ACL tear will be seen in MRI and not in plain xray as you have done
Dr. Swathi S Aithal Bangalore | General Physician
Hello..
Well it's really unfortunate that you had the problem and didn't get proper advice...first thing I would like to clear is in xvray its very difficult to comment on the ligament injury..so we can rule out only fracture....so it's better you undergo mri or usg after examination by the orthopaedician...then only I can tell you if you require any procedure or no..thank you