Juv myoclonic epilepsy
Hello. I have been diagnosed with juvinile myoclonic epilepsy since last 15 years. Previously i took sodium valproate 1000 mg, but the medication was changed to levetiracetam 500 mg in 2013. I have felt changes in my behavior, life style and psychology ever since i took levetiracetam. Positive side was that there were no attacks. But now its costing me too much. I have headaches, twichings, fuzzy head, i am forgetting a lot of things like my education, college and school life. I talk in my sleep. I am inclined to short temper and cry. I am also getting very lethargic, which is effecting my performance at work place. What shall I do? Do i need to consult neurologist again? Shall i consult a psychiatrist also?

Hi.... Seizures are generally well controlled with medications in up to 90% of patients.People who have multiple seizure types may require more medications in order to control them.It is likely that lifelong treatment with a seizure drug is usually necessary, even in people with well-controlled JME. Withdrawal could result in a relapse of seizures, even in patients who have been seizure free for many years with appropriate drugs.
Dr. Deepthi Rao Gorukanti
General Physician 2 yrs exp Hyderabad
Sodium valproate is mood stabilizer. Since it is withdrawn you are getting these symptoms. We have to reintroduce and taper down slowly. Consult neurophysician. Valproate causes weight gain,acne,pcos..its better if we can get off it..but slow taper..sudden withdrawl results in such symptoms.