Irregular periods

What are causes of irregular periods other then stress ? Is weight gain could be the reason for it ? I had irregular periods once in year 2009 then I consulted the doctor n everything was fine till now n again I am having the same irregularities in my menstural cycle . It a delay of around 2weeks from the actual periods date ? What should I do?

Dr. Mamta Pattnayak
Gynecologist 14 yrs exp Gurgaon

Hi,ya it is true that stress and wt gain r most common cause of period irregularity.If you r sexually active please do urine Pregnancy test first.then if negative you can take medicine for withdrawal Bleeding in this cycle.Then do some blood test if cycles r irregular most of the time. Thanks. Dr Mamta Pattnayak.
Harisha N L

it may occur in women who have anemia i.e low haemoglobin levels,diabetes or thyroid problems. It is also common in women with high levels of a protein called prolactin in their blood...it can be the side effects of certain drugs like oral contraceptives,antipsychotics,antiepileptics...it may be due to poly cystic ovarian disease as well... So I would suggest you to consult nearest gynecologists for detailed clinical examination and evaluation they will do the needful
Dr. Disha Sridhar
Obstetrician 13 yrs exp Bangalore
Pills cannot heal you.If you  really  want  to  know  the root cause of your problem,  please  read my blogs on www.truhealing.com or practo health  feeds. Hope that helps....