IBS and anxiety disorder

My Mother has a constantly disturbed stomach and complains of loose stools, slight pain, floating motion, extreme uneasiness, and palpitation after passing motion. She has lost 10 kgs in last 8 months. She had the similar problem 3 years ago but started feeling better after various medications and home remedies. None of which are working now. She has had a slightly loose stomach ever since she remembers. Apart from this she also has Slip disc, varicose veins and foot pain. My mother was married 35 years ago and in the prime of her life, when we ( her children) were aged 12 and 15 my father left for Europe in search of better paying jobs. He returned once after 5 years and next after 7 making it a total of 13 years. This created a lot of mental, emotional, physiological stress on her. We believe this is the reason for her current woes. Doctors put it as IBS and anxiety. She has taken Tab Serta for 1.5 month with no marked improvement.

Doctor Answers (1) on IBS and anxiety disorder

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there I understand your concern... Diagnosis is very important in irritable bowel syndrome...you will need certain investigations to rule out other causes...investigations are ultrasound abdomen,liver function test,blood tests like complete heamogram,stool examination etc... There is no specific treatment of this disease. It can be controlled by altering diet pattern,psychological therapy and medicines. You can give her course of antibiotics containing Ofloxacin and Ornidazole twice daily for five days...Consult nearest gastroenterologist they will do the needful..