I have developed keloid

I have developed keloid when I was 10 years old.I used to suffer from itching before,but now it has stopped.But the scar in the body really bothers me a lot.Is there any treatment for this?I'm really in need of a treatment.

Doctor Answers (1) on I have developed keloid

Dr. Rajdeep Bangalore | Dermatologist
Yes, keloids are scars that overgrow beyond the margins of the injury. There are many treatment options. The most important thing is preventijg injuries to your skin. For example of you develop a boil or pimples even that can lead to keloids. The most common and cost effective method is injecting certain medicines (triamcinolone, 5FU, bleomycin) into the keloid. Lasers have a role in reducing the blood supply to the keloid and slowing down its growth. I usually combine IPL with injections into the keloid. IPL is an instrument similar to a LASER. In large keloids multiple sessions are required to flatten it and small keloids require just a couple of sessions. Some doctors also use liquid nitrogen, called as cryotherapy. Surgery can be done in certain areas like ear lobe but even then maintainence is by injections. Surgery is only to quickly reduce the size. Only surgery without the other treatment modalities leads to a recurrence of keloids. Once your keloids have flattened you can use silicone sheets to keep them compressed and prevent them from growing back. A dermatologist near you should be able to help you with your problem. Warm regards. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore. Chirag Hospital Bangalore