diabetes-icon

HypoThyroid n pregnancy

My TSh was detected high in September,15. I was advised by the doctor to start thyronorm 50mcg and in Jan the dosage was reduced to 37.5 mcg. My Thyroid was in control for the past 3 months. In Feb it was 1.7 but when I checked in March it was 10.7. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant. My last periods date was Jan 9th. After March reports have increased thyronorm to 67.5 mcg. Please advise on correct dosage. Except for TSH all is normal - T3,T4, FT3,FT4.

Doctor Answers (2) on HypoThyroid n pregnancy

Dr. Nikhil Prabhu Mumbai | Diabetologist
In pregnancy more tight control of TSH is required. TSH should be below 2.5 throughout pregnancy. Thyroid hormone is necessary for brain development of fetus. High TSH in first trimester can badly affect fetal brain growth. TSH value can be measured after 6-8 weeks. Repeat TSH again after 6 weeks and levothyroxine dose can be adjusted accordingly. Some endocrinologist even prefer MTP if TSH is not in range during preconception and pregnancy.
Dr. Divya H M Bangalore | Diabetologist
There is no fixed dosage for thyroid hormone supplements. It is always adjusted based on TSH values. Keep in touch with your doctor as and when required.