High creatinine and urea

Hi Doc, My dad is suffering from diabetes related ckd problem and his blood creatinine levels are 8.3 now, it was 2.7 before 3 months , and now it drastically increased, is there any way to refuse these levels without going for dialysis through medication or diet.

Dr. Prashant C Dheerendra
Nephrologist/Renal Specialist 12 yrs exp Chandigarh
Dear Sir, your father has had a relatively rapid decline in kidney function in the last 3 months. Sometimes we can find a cause for this like an infection in addition to the diabetic kidney failure. Treating the infection, etc might bring the creatinine down to some extent.  But many times no reason can be found and the rise in creatinine is irreversible. In such a scenario not much choice is available except dialysis. Assuming his weight to be 70 kgs, a creatinine of 8.3 implies a kidney function of less than 10%. It is recommended that one should prepare oneself for dialysis at least 6 months in advance of the anticipated commencement of dialysis when the kidney function declines to less than 20% of normal. Dialysis is not a small undertaking but short of a kidney transplant it is the only answer we have to take the wastes out of the body when the kidneys are irreversibly damaged. Those who accept dialysis and prepare for it and start it on time generally do better than those who look for unproven alternative treatments and wait till things get really serious to start dialysis. Hope my answer is helpful.