Hair fall and dandruff

I recently moved to India after being in USA for 2yrs. I suddenly got hair fall and dandruff along with some small cyst like in the head... Im not sure which shampoo can i use...

Doctor Answers (1) on Hair fall and dandruff

Dr. Rajdeep Bangalore | Dermatologist
Dandruff can develop in a person whether they are in India or the United States. Generally it increases in cold weather. It is more common in young age and old age and reduces in middle aged people. Dandruff has been found to be associated with a fungus called malasezzia which is normally present on the skin. Over the counter anti dandruff shampoos usually contain cleansers to reduce oiliness of the scalp along with a mild anti fungal agent like zinc pyrithione(ZPTO). You could start using these shampoos to wash your scalp and see if it reduces. In more severe cases you will require medical therapy with medicated anti dandruff shampoos and tablets. The medicines will be prescribed by a dermatologist after examining you. Other scalp disorders that resemble dandruff like psoriasis must be ruled out if you are not responding to standard anti dandruff shampoos. Regarding the cysts on your head, it could be a condition called scalp folliciculitis where your hair roots are infected either with the fungus causing dandruff or with bacteria. It will need to be examined by a dermatologist to make a final diagnosis. Warm regards. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore. Chirag Hospital Bangalore