Genu warum

Hi Dr's My concern is that I have critical problem. In my booth legs, there are long gap it may be 4 to 5 inches between my both legs. I feel very embarrassing while walking in front of people. I realised it.. Please give ur suggestion that how to relief it. If any guide or medicine please let me know Dr's. I m very thankful to u... Thank you !

Doctor Answers (3) on Genu warum

Dr. Priyanka Bhati Faridabad | Physiotherapist
Dear friend
You need a very simple modification.
Dr. Siddhartha Ghosh Mumbai | Joint Replacement Surgeon
Of its genu varum and the gap is 4 to 6 inches then definitely u need to see orthopedic surgeon for the same. He might ask u special x ray like scannogram and chek the angles clinically as well. Indications fir surgery are cosmetic, functional And pain. Better to get corrected niw as delayed treatment could lead to osteoarthritis of knees and it cganges mechanics of ur posture and lower limbs
Dr. Pooja Rai (PT) Bangalore | Clinical Physiotherapist
Hello, when u stand with both feet together, there is a gap between your knees. This condition is called as genu varum.its a deformity which results in outward bowing of the leg while standing.
Generally having genu varum is normal during infancy. However, as the child starts to walk, the bowed legs eventually correct on their own.

Sometimes genu varum of a knee or genu vara of both knees may persist, becoming apparent beyond the age of 3.

It can affect anyone but you don't  have to worry since there is easy genu varum treatment exercise that you can do.

Genu varum don’t generally cause pain, but if these symptoms are left untreated, it has the chance to grow even more severe and will cause extreme discomfort when doing basically anything. Genu varum will also affect the sense of balance of the patient, with research shows that a person with genu varum are more prone to slipping up or falling in even a static situation; in a dynamic situation, the chances of a genu varum patient to lose his sense of balance is significantly higher than normal people, thus genu varum has high chance of causing more injuries.

How to Treat Genu Varum for Adults

In terms of treatment, a person with bow leg syndrome should be treated right away, because it might cause complication if left untreated for long, one of the most common genu varum complications is arthritis in the knee and hip. Treatments for genu varum can be divided into two procedures, one if the non surgical procedure which involves drugs and medicines, but it is exclusively used for children, and the other one is by using the surgical procedures, adult with genu varum can be treated with surgery.

An alternative method of treating genu varum includes bracing and heel wedges. It is well documented that abnormal strength of the hip muscles can alter knee mechanics. Strengthening the hip external rotators and hip extensors, for example, is a key component in the rehabilitation of patients with patello femoral pain syndrome.

Exercises to straighten bow legs are designed to improve the muscles in the upper thighs and knees allowing for you to change your leg’s position. This is something you will need to perform steadily as it is not a quick fix. PILATES can be used to change your posture and decrease the severity of bow legs.

Consult a physiotherapist for proper guidance on exercises.