Flexion deformity

Dear Doctor, Since last 2 to 3 months we have noticed that my 2.5 years old daughter is continuously keeping her left thumb folded/bent. We tried to straighten up it with massage but again it bents. Then we have done xray. As per report flexion deformity in interphalangeal joints seen. I would like to know more about this deformity, reason for the same and its treatment in medical science with your help. We are very scared. Please help us out. Thanks
views-icons 23 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Flexion deformity

It is likely that she may be having a trigger thumb. A nodule forms at the level of the palm crease that gets stuck in a pulley leading to flexion deformity. Such a deformity cannot be seen on the xray. It would be ideal for you to visit a pediatric ortho surgeon who can rule out this condition by clinical examination. Following this he may order USG or MRI to confirm his clinical examination.