Eyespainandheadpain

I use my smartphone for approx 6 hours a day for online studies. Is it harmful? Because my eyes and head frequently pain a lot. From past few days i cant see near placed objects clearly. What is the reason behind this? And can it be solved or i need to stop uaing my phone?

Doctor Answers (3) on Eyespainandheadpain

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello Prolonged working on laptop/TV/mobile can cause computer vision syndrome. Computer vision syndrome is a condition resulting from focusing the eyes on a computer or other display device for, uninterrupted periods of time. Some symptoms of cvs include a. Headaches b blurred vision c. Neck pain d redness in the eyes e. Eye strain f dry eyes sometimes watery eyes these symptoms can be further aggravated by improper lighting conditions. Measures to reduce this include 1. Work under proper light. 2. Blink a lot. 3. Cold compresses 4. Use good lubricating eyedrop
Dr. Arun Rajan Thiruvananthapuram | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
You seems to have symptoms of computer vision syndrome and dry eye. Let me put it this way. When you use a smartphone, the muscles in your eyes contract to focus on the screen and stay contracted for the whole duration of smartphone use. This puts enormous strain or your eyes if you continue using the phone continuously without taking properly timed breaks in between. Its something like (and this is just to give you an idea) going to a gym, lifting a pair of very heavy dumbells with outstretched arms and staying in that position for a very very long time. Those muscles will definitely get tired. So, now with those tired muscles when you try to focus on other near objects, they will not be able to function properly and you will have difficulty focusing.
No, you dont need to stop using your phone completely. You just have to take breaks for a 20-30 seconds every 20 minutes. Try to blink more when you are using your phone, Use lubricating eye drops, get your refractive status checked after consulting an ophthalmologist.
Dr. Pranav Dave Surat | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
You might have dryness. Use lubrication eye drops like genteal. Get your numbers checked also.